Posted in two messages on April 28, 2006
This is a request for comments on an overhaul of the Action Point system.
=Uses of Action Points=
By spending action points, you are allowed to do the following:
1 Green or Red Action Point
- Roll additional dice to add to a d20 roll, after the roll is made but before the result is determined. From levels 1-7 you may roll 1d6, from 8-14 you may roll 2d8, and from 15-20 you may roll 3d10. If you are rolling more than 1d6, the additional dice are not also added to the result. The best roll from the extra dice is chosen and added as appropriate. You may not spend a red or green on a saving throw in this manner.
- Stabilize at your current hit point total.
- Ignore two components (Verbal, Somatic, or Material) required for casting a spell. You must be able to utilize at least one of these components to cast a spell; You cannot spend two points to ignore all three components.
2 Green or Red Action Points
- Gain one extra use per day of a class ability.
- Roll an appropriate amount of dice (1d6/2d8/3d10) to add to a damage roll, after the roll is made but before damage is applied to your opponent. The damage is the same "type" of damage as the strike itself.
- Roll an appropriate amount of dice (1d6/2d8/3d10) to add to a damage or healing roll for a spell. The applied energy is of the 'type' of the rest of the spell. If the spell is a "half and half" spell, the added damage is of the associated elemental type.
3 Green or Red Action Points
- Roll an appropriate amount of dice (1d6/2d8/3d10), then subtract two, to add to a the save DC of a spell. The number added can never be lower than 1 through the use of these cards.
1 Blue Action Points
- Regain the use of a spell slot, spell per day, or clerical prayer per day. The regained spell must be cast during the initiative pass they are regained.
- Spontaneously apply a metamagic feat your character has to a cast spell. Application does not change spell slot level used or increase spell casting time.
- Roll additional dice to add to a d20 roll when making a saving throw. Number of dice rolled is determined as with Red/Green dice above.
3 White Action Points
- Succeed at a single failed saving throw (exception to only on your turn rule).
1 Red Action Point
- Convert your action point into 50 experience points. This xp can be applied to a debt resulting from character death or magic item creation. A character can never have a higher xp total than the current 'max' total xp as a result of applying xp gained this way.
4 Blue Action Points
- Gain 8 + your intelligence bonus skill points, which must be applied as per your character's class.
4 White Action Points
- Gain a Feat which you have the appropriate prerequisites for.
Action Point Max
In order to encourage players to use their action points, the total number of action points you can hold onto is 20. Green and Black cards do not apply to this maximum.
Action Point Card Colors
- Red: Awarded for homework. Are not lost between levels.
- Green: 1 + 1/2 player level (rounded down) given to player when they level. Are lost if not spent before new level is hit. In the event of level loss, you hang on to the current number of green action points you have, and get new ones as per normal when you gain your next level. Don't count against total card count.
- Blue: Awarded for dungeon completion. Are not lost between levels.
- White: Awarded for chapter completion. Are not lost between levels.
- Black: Awarded for humor. Are not lost between levels. Don't count against total card count.